Why do a weekly roundup?
If you niche down far enough, a weekly roundup could be the news hub for a topic.
For general digital marketing, it's a bit different. You have to think harder about how to create value. Value for the audience to stand out. Value for yourself to keep going.
Most publishers like to use roundups at least partially to highlight their latest work, and in that regard I'm no different. If you see the list of early-bird conference discounts, you might think, hey, there's something going on here. If you click over to the conference calendar and see the 200+ listings and exclusive discounts, you are more likely to follow along using Facebook, Twitter, email or RSS to see what comes next. (Like the new tools page...)
So yeah, there's that. But there's another big reason.
There is a joy in sharing great content. I was listening to Tim Ferriss' podcast episode with Kara Swisher, mind on fire 🔥 at 2AM, energized and bursting to pass that energy along. Subscribing to 100+ podcasts and 100+ YouTube channels, only a fraction of episodes look interesting enough to sample based on the title, and even fewer are fire-emoji good. So when that happens, I want to share as a thank you to the people doing interesting work.
Hope you find some fire here. Hotjar is enabled in the lower-right if you have feedback.
It's the first week of the month, so here are the upcoming early-bird discount deadlines.
- Jan 31 - Pubcon SFIMA Summit 2017 (Fort Lauderdale)
- Jan 31 - Engage Conference 2017 - SEMpdx (Portland)
- Jan 31 - Napa Summit (San Francisco area)
- Jan 31 - ROI Revolution Summit 2017 (Orlando)
- Jan 31 - GrowthHackers Conference 2017 (Los Angeles)
- Jan 31 - MozCon 2017 (Seattle)
- Jan 31 - Hero Conf PPC Conference (Los Angeles)
- Jan 31 - Adobe Summit (Las Vegas)
- Jan 31 - B2B Online 2017 (Chicago)
- Jan 31 - eTail West 2017 (Palm Springs)
- Jan 31 - eTail Canada 2017 (Toronto)
- Feb 1 - DIGIMARCON Cruise 2017 (Orlando)
- Feb 1 - Marketing Sherpa Summit 2017 (Las Vegas)
- Feb 3 - Social Media Week (Los Angeles)
- Feb 3 - Social Media Week (New York)
- Feb 3 - SMX London (London)
- Feb 9 - Traffic and Conversion Summit (San Diego)
- Feb 10 - Converted 2017 (Minneapolis)
- Feb 10 - Conversion Conference (Las Vegas)
- Feb 10 - The Corporate Social Media Summit (New York)
- Feb 11 - SMX West (San Jose)
- Feb 14 - Content Marketing Conference (Boston)
- Feb 15 - Social Media Camp 2017 (Victoria, BC, Canada)
- Feb 17 - Spark (by TrackMaven) (Washington DC)
- Feb 17 - Social Media Strategies Summit (Chicago)
- Feb 17 - BEHAVE Annual 2017 (New York)
- Feb 20 - The Inbounder World Tour (Madrid)
- Feb 24 - Incite Summit West (San Francisco)
- Feb 24 - eTail Germany (Berlin)
- Feb 24 - Digital Marketing World Forum (Amsterdam)
- Feb 24 - Programmatic Pioneers Summit (London)
- Feb 25 - Email Innovations Summit (Las Vegas)
- Feb 25 - MarTech USA (San Francisco)
- Feb 25 - MMA Mobile Marketing Leadership Forum (New York)
- Feb 28 - DIGIMARCON East 2017 (New York)
- Feb 28 - Big Digital Adelaide (Adelaide, Australia)
- Feb 28 - DIGIMARCON Canada 2017 (Toronto)
more: all conferences
note - clicking off the page will reset your place in videos, remember to control+click.
Brian Massey of Conversion Sciences talks about conversion of landing pages. You don't need to watch the video, just listen to it in the background like a podcast. While not all of these ideas will be new to you, having them top-of-mind is handy when thinking about your latest landing page.
SEMrush hosts Stephan Spencer for an hour long webinar on How To Conduct an SEO Audit. Step-by-step guide with a lot of visuals.
If someone asks you for a resource for learning social media, you can't go wrong with the SavvySexySocial YouTube channel by Amy Schmittauer. For years, there has been a steady stream of short videos, each focused on a popular social media topic. The channel's format has been different in the run up to the Vlog Like A Boss book launch, but there are great, focused playlists of past episodes, and no doubt many great videos for years to come.
Why Savvy Sexy Social?
Getting Started with YouTube Marketing
Getting Started with Instagram Marketing
Getting Started with Snapchat Marketing
more: all channels
note - clicking off the page will reset your place in podcasts, remember to control+click.
Tim Ferriss Show: The Most Feared and Well-Liked Journalist in Silicon Valley - Kara Swisher
OMFG. This is pure energy. I'd seen a lot of scoops trace back to Kara Swisher over the years, but hadn't followed her work directly. This episode lives up to all of the hype. Fascinating. Comments on Tim's blog are a mix of love and hate, possibly skewing along gender lines. I'll grant you that this is not all how-to and happytalk... it's a raw look inside a contrarian mind.
Social Media Marketing Podcast: Why Answering Questions Sells - Marcus Sheridan
Amy Schmittauer yet again with The Social Authority Podcast. These episodes run longer than the YouTube videos and get deeper into mindset. Subscribe to keep this podcast on your radar, because Amy is a wonderfully clear thinker.
Lessons Learned from Writing a Book
Live Q&A at Inbound
The Secret to Getting on Someone’s Radar
3 (Crappy) Reasons You’re Not Creating Content… Yet
more: all podcasts
Imagine it's 2017 and you still hadn't heard of Google Analytics. Unthinkable, right?
That's the situation for some people today with Hotjar. The analytics-and-feedback tool is approaching GA or Mailchimp-like ubiquitous awareness with it's "free forever" basic plan, but it's not 100%. Don't get caught on the wrong side of the "know" and "know-not" divide.
The free plan collects data from up to 2,000 pageviews per day for up to 300 recordings and 3 heatmaps, funnels, forms, polls and surveys (see below). If you haven't played with these tools below, sign up, get some insights, maybe impress some clients.
disclaimer: Hotjar is not paying anything here, but they do have a contest where the top referrer each month wins a lifetime free Hotjar business account. That could be me, or it could be you.
more: all tools
The most interesting thread of the week at top industry communities.
Inbound.org - A New Year Brings New Features to Inbound.org
Reddit (various) - Is U.S.A. at risk of becoming a damaged brand to people outside the US in the Trump era? Politics aside, if that's possible, this post leads to many business questions.
If you want more conventional news, here are some of the best resources.
Marketing Day - daily recap of digital marketing news, from Marketing Land.
SearchCap - daily recap of search engine news, from Search Engine Land.
Online Marketing News - weekly videos on digital marketing news from TopRank.
Social Media Cluster Facts - weekly videos on social media news from Aimclear.
Search Forum Recap - daily recap of the webmaster forums from Barry Schwartz.