Welcome to the first digital marketing weekly roundup.
This is not a rehash of the same handful of news stories you've seen everywhere else. The focus here is on everything else that's going on in the digital marketing world.
note - clicking off the page will reset your place in videos/podcasts, remember to control+click.
[53 minutes] Get thoughts about Google search straight from the horse's mouth.
[62 minutes] Holy, Mixergy! How The Penny Hoarder became a $20M dollar blog.
Roberto Blake is a creative powerhouse on YouTube. Each day of the week he covers a different topic... on par with channels that cover those topics full-time! Beyond the quality of the content, he is quickly becoming one of my favorite online personalities. If you have any creative interests, subscribe and prepare to become a fan.
Monday - graphic design - Which is better? HTML vs. WordPress
Tuesday - reviews, software, unboxings - 7 Reasons to Buy the iPhone 7
Wednesday - photography on video - Sony RX100 V: Best Vlogging Camera Ever
Thursday - software - Adobe Premiere Pro Simple Title Intro Tutorial
Friday - YouTube - Does Clickbait Get More Views on YouTube?
Saturday - small business and social media - Building Your Personal Brand
Sunday - vlogs, live hangouts and q&a - How To Overcome Impostor Syndrome
more: all channels
A handful of the the most interesting marketing podcasts from the last week or so.
[33 minutes] Agents of Change: You've Grown Your Email List... Now What?
[34 minutes] eCommerceFuel: How to Ensure Killer Email Deliverability.
[63 minutes] Experts On The Wire: Vlogging's Content Marketing Opportunity.
Gary Vaynerchuk is hardly an unknown quantity, but he's been dropping a lot of content lately. If you're like me and can't fit any more coffee into your waking hours, a person like Gary can come in handy. You can find him on iTunes, although if you use Windows and/or Android, I beg you to find him on something like Stitcher, SoundCloud, or my new favorite thing in the world, Pocket Casts.
Audio Rant: Is My Content Good Enough?
Keynote: Traffic & Conversion Summit 2016
#AskGaryVee Audiobook: Chapter 17 Self-Awareness
more: all podcasts
$100 in free advertising credit from Bing Ads. (must use link)
*Details: Offer expires January 15, 2017. Get $100 in Bing Ads credits for signing up as a new Bing Ads customer. A new Bing Ads customer is one that has not advertised on Bing Ads before. The Bing Ads customer will receive a promotional code to redeem credits. Limit one (1) promotion code per new Bing Ads customer. Promotional code must be redeemed within thirty (30) days of Bing Ads new customer creation. Offer valid only to residents of the United States. For full offer details, click here. For other countries, click the "all deals" link below.
more: all deals
Upcoming Early-Bird Discount Deadlines (check the reference spreadsheet for details)
- Jan 5 - Marketing Sherpa Summit (Las Vegas)
- Jan 6 - VendastaCon (Austin)
- Jan 9 - LSA 2017 (San Diego)
- Jan 12 - Social Media Week (New York)
- Jan 13 - Intelligent Content Conference (Las Vegas)
- Jan 13 - Conversion Conference (Las Vegas)
- Jan 13 - BEHAVE Annual (New York)
- Jan 14 - Email Innovations Summit (Las Vegas)
- Jan 15 - Intrigue Summit (New York)
- Jan 15 - INBOUND (Boston)
- Jan 15 - Napa Summit (Napa Valley)
Exclusive Discounts (check the conference calendar for details)
- Jan 25 - VendasataCon (Austin)
- Jan 30 - SUPERWEEK (Hungary)
- Feb 7 - Social Media Strategies Summit(San Francisco)
- Feb 23 - SearchLove (San Diego)
- Mar 21 - Digital Marketing Innovation Summit (New York)
- Mar 21 - Digital Strategy Innovation Summit (New York)
- Mar 30 - Napa Summit (Napa Valley)
- May 10 - Digital Marketing in Healthcare Summit (Philadelphia)
- Jun 15 - UnGagged (London)
- Sep 13 - Digital Strategy Innovation Summit (Sydney)
- Nov 12 - UnGagged (Las Vegas)
more: all conferences
Tools of Titans: The Tactics, Routines, and Habits of Billionaires, Icons, and World-Class Performers by Timothy Ferriss
Digital Marketing For Dummies (2017) by Ryan Deiss, Russ Henneberry
The Google Ad Grants Playbook: The Definitive Guide To Breakthrough Nonprofit Growth... On Google's Dime by Josh Barsch, Steve Isaacs
The most interesting recent thread at top industry communities.
Inbound.org - What was your most successful email tactic in 2016?
GrowthHackers - "Mirage Content" Is The Reason Your Blog Isn’t Generating Leads
Reddit (various) - ...most important lesson re: WordPress development this year?
Be An SEO Hero has been keeping up with the developments in the Wix "SEO Hero" contest. Normally, a contest like this wouldn't be worth mentioning, because most SEO isn't done under these conditions. What is worth mentioning is the limitations of platforms like Wix.
- You are limited to 50 301 redirects. If moving 100+ ranked pages, then what?
- You are limited for analytics without GA event tracking or services like Hotjar.
- You are at the mercy of one host for site speed and not dropping out of Google.
- We won't even get into changing templates. You can read Wix user reviews here.
If you want more conventional news, here are some of the best resources.
Marketing Day - daily recap of digital marketing news, from Marketing Land.
SearchCap - daily recap of search engine news, from Search Engine Land.
Online Marketing News - weekly videos on digital marketing news from TopRank.
Social Media Cluster Facts - weekly videos on social media news from Aimclear.
Search Forum Recap - daily recap of the webmaster forums from Barry Schwartz.